The Taiwanese idol dramas have been assailed by Japanese and Korean dramas for many years, but in the past few years they have also built up an increasing number of viewers. Therefore, they can be said to have great potential in business area, but were
ignored by researchers. A popular show can be sold for as much as 132 million NT dollars each episode, which can be a lucrative industry.
However, with limited budget and resources, how do Taiwanese idol dramas keep their competition? The study considered that teamwork and leadership play a crucial role.
In the past, literature has been discussing many factors that influence project success and team performance in various industries, including factors such as human resource, teamwork, leadership, etc. However, none has carried an in-depth study on such factors in the idol drama industry.
Therefore, the present study aims to investigate the key factors related to teamwork and leadership that may influence the success of the idol dramas during the production process.
In this qualitative study, the researcher interviewed with five veteran staff of Taiwanese idol dramas and provided the following results：
1. The factors that influence the success of the idol dramas include the high uncertainty factors such as the social atmosphere, marketing and the TV channels that broadcast the show. The key factors are the qualifications of team members, teamwork and the competence of the leader.
2. The characteristics of the idol drama project may include the following: 1) a specified date for completion, 2) a specified and limited budget, 3) quality standards, 4) how the team members work together, and 5) the social atmosphere, which may not be essential in other kinds of projects.
3. The director is the key person related to the success of an idol drama. The director’s competency, communication skills, leadership, problem-solving
skills, emotional state and his/her characteristics are all crucial factors related to success.
4. The members of one successful team should have competence, experience and the ability to coordinate and communicate with others, as well as problem-solving skills, innovation, and particularly talents in art. In this industry, using interpersonal network is a main channel of finding qualified team members.
5. Communication is perhaps the most critical factor in management and interaction. Effective communication can lead to teamwork and friendly
atmosphere. Teamwork and optimistic atmosphere can in turn lead to the success of a drama.