In terms of theory, the matrix organization is not only beneficial to preserve and develop the core technologies of enterprise, is but also equipped with flexible functions. This is an ideal research and development organization. Though there are many relevant studies in this respect previously with project or balanced matrix organization as research target, yet many companies adopt the functional matrix organization. Besides the research alliance is formed among enterprises in jointly developing new product/new technique which operational model will be the same as management model of functional matrix organization. As a result this initiates the research motive.
This research adopts the exploratory research of case analysis including the compilation and study of relevant literatures as well as case interview, analysis and comparison, finally concludes “The Key Successful Factors of Research & Development Management in the Functional Matrix Organization”.
The following conclusions are obtained by this research: An enterprise implements the project research and development of functional matrix organization and must be equipped with the following conditions:
1. The high ranking supervisors support and manifest toward project: the supervisor should clearly manifest the project importance, authorize and support the project leader as well as request the coordination of functional departments.
2. Sufficient Resource: It includes the required professional personnel, technology, budget and time to complete the project, meanwhile the flexibility for counteraction has to be prepared.
3. Appropriate Project Leader: The leader has to be equipped with professional capability, trust from supervisor, especially communication ability and leadership to acquire the coordination of functional chief and project members.
4. Attractive and Definite Object: The project object has to satisfy the sense of achievement of project members, inspire their motives, while the definite object can avoid the unnecessary problems in the results valuation.
This article also submits the following suggestions on project execution method:
1. To adopt management by object: When the management by object is adopted. the functional chief supervises his subordinates to complete the preset project and project leader is focused on completed quality, schedule and required budget of object in the project execution period. As such the conflict occurrence can be reduced. Besides project leader doesn’t have to spend too much time on internal management; however the leader can generate more close interactivity with customers that is surely beneficial to achieve the object and performance.
2. Effective Project Information System: The effective project information system can provide the written data to realize the project progress, assure project quality, increase the project realization of project members as well as compile and provide the effective historical data.
3. To Build up Project Team: If project members can work together under project object and develop a project team culture with more awareness and less conflict, this surely facilitates the smooth implementation of project. As a result the project leader does not have to be formally authorized his commanding power from organization, still he is able to inspire its members to proactively work hard in attaining the object.
4. The project leader has the rights of evaluation and allocation: The project leader should be more aware of contributions from his members than other chiefs. If project leader has the performance reward allocation that will facilitate the members be fully dedicated to project implementation. In the project management of matrix organization, the functional department is responsible for sub-project work as well as responsibility of project performance. Therefore project leader should have the performance evaluation toward overall functional department.