||Nowadays, employees of baby boomers are generally retire from the workplace, instead employees of digital generation are replacing them as the new work force.|
Digital generation or called as Digital Natives, defined by Marc Prensky (2001), described people who born into the digital world and grow up with the Internet and new technologies. This study aims to find the key elements and its reasons based on the understanding of work values of digital natives.
This study use fifteen young males and females who match the definition of digital natives as main research interviewees. According to the fifteen items of Super (1970) Work Values Inventory, to discuss the key elements of work values of digital natives. This study is conducted with qualitative research, and it uses in-depth interviewing to find the key elements. Analyze the key elements and find its reasons. With the findings, this study expects to assist enterprises to better help young employees to improve their work performance of digital natives on the aspect of human resource.
The main findings are as follow:
1. The key elements of work values of digital natives are intellectual stimulation, achievement, supervisory relations, and economic return.
2. Intellectual stimulation of digital natives can be increased by multitasking, doing new task, having their own time during work, or their opinion is valued.
3. Achievement of digital natives can be increased when they encounter challenging task, receiving feedback from work, or their work performance is recognized by supervisors.
4. In supervisory relations, digital natives mostly consider having a mentor is important, and the discussion and experience sharing with supervisor have significant increase toward their work performance.
5. Instead of material gratification, meaning of work, learning and experience within work, interactional relationship are significant economic return.
Key Words: Digital Generation, Digital Natives, Values, Work Values