||The community development is valued more and more as world trend changing, and the role of community becomes more and more important. Especially, the internal residents of a community could not only integrate resources from both outside and inside the community to offer services actively, but also propose its needs spontaneously to promote the entire community development, to push welfare community projects within, and to implement the government’s social welfare policies. This kind of localized, regional and convenient culture, the concept of service the locals by the locals, is well received and popular among lots of community in the world.|
Kaohsiung Flagship Project of Social Welfare is promoted by the volunteering community of Sanmin District, integrated and assisted by District Office and Social Welfare Department and other government departments and divisions. This is the best cooperation model of public-private partnership, for both sectors worked hard to connect and unit the resources, and for passing the priceless experience and skills to Cianjhen District, Linyuan Dist and other counties and cities further. For those who want to create a better community but lack of knowledge, this well-collaborated model is expected to offer some suggestions to reduce the unnecessary fumble and exploration. With this model, the community and its partners could reform the community quickly, and make the residents feel warm and fragrant care by the community.
To examine whether the promotion of united communities flagship project meets the community’s needs, the present study interviewed the executors of involved metropolitan cities of Kaohsiung Flagship Project of Social Welfare, which was promoted by the Ministry of the Interior. The results were discussed from the viewpoint of community, and the expected role function of District Office was also analyzed as follows:
1. The promotion of Flagship Project of Social Welfare satisfied the needs of community residents, and each community is proud of being involved in the team.
2. The promotion method of community alliance could efficiently push the government and private sectors forward to build the reciprocal partnership of shared resources and mutual-cooperation.
3. During the project, the role District Office’s played and its supported aid differed from the expectation of the community.
4. Suggestions are given for the government of its role in promoting and building community.
The long-term working experience helped the author become partners of the community leaders; therefore, this study was conducted by participant observation and elite interview. Based on the interview and the author’s field study experience, content-analysis was accomplished to organize the suggestions of community leaders for future policies and researches:
1. Suggestions for future policies: a) planning the principle of policies and the community development strategies; b) studying relevant laws and regulations of community works; c) raising the degree of community works support from the director of a County/City; d) incorporating community works into District Office’s annual performance examination, establishing community counselors system and superintendent reward system, and decreasing the frequency of personnel change; e) enhancing the administration power of the Supervisor of a country/ town/ district and set up the role of the District Office.
2. Suggestions for the District Office’s employee organization: a) striving for the support and identification of the supervisor; b) establishing professional labor and sectors for the project; c) forming “Community development working transaction of country/town/district level” to increase the community solidarity and share the results.
3. Suggestions for pragmatic implementation: a) conducting classified training courses for government sectors and community leaders regularly; b) assisting community to have its own online marketing platform to further develop community industry and conceal the wealth in community; c) grouping communities with project executive capacity, each team make the superior community leading others, and encouraging each community join the annual performance examination at the same time.
4. Suggestions for future research: a) selecting successful samples that have achieved the District Office level however cover the entire range of a county/city; b) adopting both qualitative and quantitative research method.
With the policy and the Distric Office’s leading, community in Taiwan has unlimited potential to improve in the near future.